Monday 7 September 2009

All in the Mind?

Yesterday was supposed to have been decision day, to run the Windsor half marathon or to cry off. We sent off out entry forms with plenty of time to get the training in and it was to be a family affair, myself and OH plus our daughter. What we forgot about was the Summer temperatures , this year a minicanicule. Trying to run when its above 30C and theres no shade is not sensible, after all, even Paula Radcliffe can't cope with heat.
We've upped the training in the last couple of weeks but yesterday was the crux, if I could run or run/walk 2 circuits of our 8km riverside circuit then I'd be OK. The circuit is actually a figure of 8 and includes 3 bridges so its not easy to cut short the run if you're on the 'wrong' side of the river.
We set off, in opposite directions, we run at different speeds so we don't run together.
The first half mile , fine, breathing well, a bit slow but that didn't matter.
Then a thought... you didn't check your blood before you started. I automatically felt for my waist pack ,Oh ***! .
Pack complete with meter, dextrose and car key was still sitting on my seat in the car.
What to do?
No use going back to the car;.....no key.
Go on then I'd at least meet OH who had the other car key.
The problem was I always need a dextrose at 2 miles and I wouldn't meet him until just after that and then still had to get back to the car.
Nothing to do but to carry on.
I ran quite well for a while but towards the 2 mile point my legs began to feel tired. The heat (though far less than a couple of weeks ago) was beginning to bother me, I was sweating, starting to find breathing a bit more difficult. I must be going low, I need a dextrose tablet.
Carry on, where was that husband ?
I REALLY NEED SOME SUGAR NOW.
At last OH came into sight. I told him what had happened and that I needed the car keys. He gave them to me and off he ran with a cheery wave.
Now I felt very sorry for myself, ... didn't he realise I might pass out? . Why didn't he come back with me?
I slowed down, walking rather than running. I realised I was about to go past the hospital. Half of me thought that it might be a good idea to go in and up to the diabetic ward and ask for some sugar. The other half was far too embarassed to do it. I carried on, half running, half walking, and eventually reached the bridge and crossed over, not too far back to the car. My Garmin told me I'd taken over 15min to do the last mile.
I got there, checked level ..... um, 6.1mmol, 6.1mmol !
Not low at all, in fact rather higher than I usually run at.
Sheepishly I locked the car and went back to the riverside. What to do? If I continued in the direction I'd been going I'd not meet OH and I now have both car keys. I decided to run back towards him. A couple of hundred meters along the bank and there he was, that was quick!
Half a mile after giving me the key, he'd begun to worry about having left me .He decided the only thing to do was to carry on, but he had to run as fast as possible.
For both of us that was the end of the run., neither of us felt like going on. He'd done 8k I'd done about 5.5k. No long run, we'll have to try again midweek.

But what about my glucose levels, was I really low at one point and my liver helped out, perhaps the worry had sent them up, or did I just feel low because I thought I should be low? Was it all in my mind?

(It didn't go down afterwards either, it was 7.5mmol before lunch, stayed 'up' all afternoon, then I took off my pump to have a bath and afterwards it had gone down to 4.2mmol.... very strange things blood glucose levels!)

1 comment: