Sunday 15 November 2009

World Diabetes Day


It was good fun to join in with people from all over the world and take part in the Big Blue Test . I'm very certain that exercise plays an important part in my control. My glucose levels tell me when I've been lazy but I've often got the impression that, I'm a bit unusual, that other people don't really think it makes much difference. Diet is what matters most, not what you do. In fact, when I posted details of the test on one forum, I was really disapointed, the only response. was a couple of metaphorical yawns concerning the whole idea of World diabetes day

Here are my results.
Before 14 minutes exercise

After 14 minutes exercise


So a drop from 6mmol to 4.3mmol, a distance of 5.5 laps, thats 1.39 miles and 67 kj -I think that was about 160 calories.Just slightly under 10 min miles, which is very fast for me. The test was probably a bit close to lunchtime but I was pleased to only fall to 3.8 later in the afternoon (so a small bit of aero with a cup of coffee was all that was needed to keep me going 'till dinner.

I uploaded my results to the site, at that time there weren't that many so it was great to log back on this morning and find lots had taken part. There were of course lots of results from the US, but there were lots of other countries represented Saudi, the Philipines, Germany, the Netherlands, the UK and South Africa were some I noticed.What struck me straight away was that so many people had seen falls in such a short period of time. Some were totally surprised, others very happy. There were all sorts of activities. People were hula hooping on the wii fit, walking, biking, running , stair climbing, house cleaning, playing with children, skipping, chopping wood and doing exercises in a chair. Some people did far more than 14 minutes, long bike rides, runs and walk

What an eye-opener. Before exercise, 147, after walking on treadmill for 14 minutes, 108. What an incentive to take care of myself while I am in early stages

My exercise was folding laundry as I am not able to exercise heavily, started with 8.6 mmol/L and after 14 minutes it was 6.7 ;

how amazing112 and 106 after 14 minutes of walking on the treadmill. With one added note, I had a late lunch ( I was less than an hour post meal) so my BG should have been going up.

I was 139 and after 14 minutes on the exercise bike was 93! I find that if I pedal really, really hard I can get my BG down in about 10 minute.

Well Done Everybody

Looking at all the figures I thought I'd try and put them together to show how effective the short period of exercise had been, It's not a scientific exercise, people whose levels had gone up might not have posted their results, others might not have paticipated because they had previously seen their levels rise with exercise. I only included people who seemed to have done the 14 minutes (I left out those that said they did longer)

Then I put the results in order of the first reading and plotted the results on a graph.


I think this exercise really showed how well exercise works for many of us with Diabetes, thankyou Manny Hernandez andTu Diabetes.
http://tudiabetes.com/forum/topics/the-big-blue-test-on-world?id=583967%3ATopic%3A794026&page=5

World Diabetes Day Part 2
In the evening we went to Cahors to see the lit up Marie and bridge. Unfortunately the filters weren't really strong enough for the job and my camera wan't really up to it either. It was also pity that there wasn't anything to tell people why the lighting had been altered. When we crossed the bridge a local was obviously a little puzzled. He kept stopping and peering over the parapet at the lights perhaps wondering as to why they weren't as bright as usual. Later in the restaurant we talked to the waitress. She knew about it as it had been on the local radio.

Pont Valentre


Blue Tree (It was in front of one of the main floodlights)

Blue Town Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment