Wednesday 7 October 2009

Windsor Half Marathon



Exercise alone might not make you lose weight but it certainly helps.
I was a proud Mum when I got to the finish sometime after my daughter and OH. She completed the Windsor half marathon in 2hr 26min. Since February she has lost 60lbs in weight by eating a healthy diet (Weightwatchers) coupled with regular training for this event. Like many women she had put on weight during her first pregnancy and didn’t lose it before the second. After three pregnancies she had become very overweight. She started training with 2 min walk, 30 seconds run. Gradually, as the weight came off and she got fitter the running times increased. On event day she ran the whole 13 miles with no walking breaks,. She crossed the finish line side by side with her father.
As for me, well I finished but was very,very slow(though there were still quite a few finishing after me). I hadn’t really trained properly and I was hampered by poor glucose control. The event started at the difficult time for me of 1pm ie lunchtime. I had breakfast at about 9.30am and had planned to eat a cereal bar before the start. With 20 minutes to go, I tested my levels...3.9mmol, far too low but on top of this no cereal bar: OH had checked my bag into the baggage store and I'd forgotten to take it out. I set a low temp basal and took some dextrose but it wasn’t a good way to start. Psychological or not I felt low and very heavy legged. For the first five miles I did a lot of walking. When I spotted my family at the side of the course I stopped and almost gave up then and there butafter dithering for a few minutes decided to carry on for a bit. Round the corner, out of sight, I checked my glucose level, too low and I would have given up. It was 5.6mmol, so why did I feel so b......y awful? New tactics were called for.. I used my emergency hypo gel (15g carbs) and then upped my basal rate back to almost normal.(85%) I had some strange idea in my head that I might not have enough circulating insulin but in retrospect I don’t think that was logical.
Strangely, it worked and the last part of the run, seemed much easier and I felt much happier. I was still slow but I stopped going backwards and caught and overtook several people before the finish.
I’m now determined not to let my training slide again, and I’d hoped that I would be able to work towards the London marathon in April. Sadly that’s not to be as I’ve just received my 5th rejection in a row. That means I’ll get a place for the 2011 event (you get an automatic entry after 5 ballot rejections) so I’ve got 18months to train for it.

2 comments:

  1. You made it though! Well done! I think if you are worried you are low it can make you struggle - it has happened to me before. I'm expecting to be slow in the Great South Run in a couple of weeks - lost a lot of training time through injury and still not too bright. Big congratulations to OH and your daughter too! I think these occasions when we make it to the end, but with disappointment feeling we could have done better, really spur us on for the next one! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've just got to keep it going, London 2011 as target. I'm going to do some shorter runs a bit faster for a while. Good luck in the GSR.(If its on the tele',I'll be watching.)

    ReplyDelete